Udel
Apparently the cool thing to do these days is to write in your blog about stuff and the hot topic is this weekends tournament in Deleware, so I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon.
So I think it's fair to say everyone left with a pretty sour taste in their mouth, but the consensus also seems to be losing at this tournament was a necesary evil. Necesary because we all had way too much of a "We're the shit" mindset going into it. Evil because losing fucking sucks. With that being said it's all for not unless this is spun the right way and people use it as motivation to get better.
Segway (yeah, I know I spelt that wrong. Yeah, I know spelt isn't a word. But honestly, if you didn't expet spelling and gramatical errors in a blog written by Josh Suskin, then you obviously don't know me very well, so get over it. Just figured I'd clear this up now early on in the process, because I'm sure there will be more of it down the road.) to practice Tuesday. I was a few minutes late because I had some computer issues on an assignment that I needed to turn in before 3. I was greeted by Vatz, who asked where everyone was, to which I responded all we ever have at 3pm is 7 people, to which he told me maybe I should set a better example by being on time. While he is correct in this assesment (that was the first practice I've been late for, but I was in fact late), it was kind of disheartening that the fact that we only have 7 people at 3pm was news to him, as I'm sure it would be news to other people as well unless they're one of those 7. I don't know if that made sense, but yeah, lateness is fuckin gay.
This exchange kind of summed up a lot of the fall for me thus far. An example needs to be set by the leadership (Sean and I, but specifically me because Sean can't practice Thursday and gets there late Tuesday, so as much as I may or may not be ready to run this ship, I still find myself in that role for much of our practice time so I have to be better at it). However at the same time, team members need to take responsibility for their own actions and recognize that there are times when they will have to push themselves, will have to strive to get better on their own, and will have to practice and play hard not because I told them to or motivated them to, but because they found it within themselves.
This is not meant to push blame off on anyone else or take any responsibilty off my shoulders. One thing Jaeger talked to me about in my last email was how people are going to be watching me and I have to set an example. If my head is down and I'm upset, then its going to play off on the team, as are other actions. Clearly I still have a lot to learn about my leadership role.
Ok, so that was a little bit of a sidetrack, but that's going to happen a lot in this blog too. The title afterall, is one big mindfuck, so my mind is allowed to run off and play sometimes.
I don't really have much to say on Saturday. Most of the day was a joke, the score of the Bucknell game was too close, but I'm not losing too much sleep over that, and we prolly shoulda played the rookies more and vets less. Live and learn.
Alrite, that was only part I. Part II will come sooner than later, just kinda getting interupted right now and this got longer than me thought it would be...
Apparently the cool thing to do these days is to write in your blog about stuff and the hot topic is this weekends tournament in Deleware, so I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon.
So I think it's fair to say everyone left with a pretty sour taste in their mouth, but the consensus also seems to be losing at this tournament was a necesary evil. Necesary because we all had way too much of a "We're the shit" mindset going into it. Evil because losing fucking sucks. With that being said it's all for not unless this is spun the right way and people use it as motivation to get better.
Segway (yeah, I know I spelt that wrong. Yeah, I know spelt isn't a word. But honestly, if you didn't expet spelling and gramatical errors in a blog written by Josh Suskin, then you obviously don't know me very well, so get over it. Just figured I'd clear this up now early on in the process, because I'm sure there will be more of it down the road.) to practice Tuesday. I was a few minutes late because I had some computer issues on an assignment that I needed to turn in before 3. I was greeted by Vatz, who asked where everyone was, to which I responded all we ever have at 3pm is 7 people, to which he told me maybe I should set a better example by being on time. While he is correct in this assesment (that was the first practice I've been late for, but I was in fact late), it was kind of disheartening that the fact that we only have 7 people at 3pm was news to him, as I'm sure it would be news to other people as well unless they're one of those 7. I don't know if that made sense, but yeah, lateness is fuckin gay.
This exchange kind of summed up a lot of the fall for me thus far. An example needs to be set by the leadership (Sean and I, but specifically me because Sean can't practice Thursday and gets there late Tuesday, so as much as I may or may not be ready to run this ship, I still find myself in that role for much of our practice time so I have to be better at it). However at the same time, team members need to take responsibility for their own actions and recognize that there are times when they will have to push themselves, will have to strive to get better on their own, and will have to practice and play hard not because I told them to or motivated them to, but because they found it within themselves.
This is not meant to push blame off on anyone else or take any responsibilty off my shoulders. One thing Jaeger talked to me about in my last email was how people are going to be watching me and I have to set an example. If my head is down and I'm upset, then its going to play off on the team, as are other actions. Clearly I still have a lot to learn about my leadership role.
Ok, so that was a little bit of a sidetrack, but that's going to happen a lot in this blog too. The title afterall, is one big mindfuck, so my mind is allowed to run off and play sometimes.
I don't really have much to say on Saturday. Most of the day was a joke, the score of the Bucknell game was too close, but I'm not losing too much sleep over that, and we prolly shoulda played the rookies more and vets less. Live and learn.
Alrite, that was only part I. Part II will come sooner than later, just kinda getting interupted right now and this got longer than me thought it would be...
1 Comments:
this blog is going to be amazing
Post a Comment
<< Home